Wednesday 20 November 2013

Roland Barthes "Camera Lucida"

I would like ones again describe the book of Roland Barthes but this time putting more focus on punctum and studium.
Roland Barthes was a French literary theorist. In his book "Camera Lucida Reflections on Photography" he described the two main factors in a photographic image the stadium and punctum. I think that this kind of division is really important because it helps in interpretation of photographic image. It also helps me while I am creating my own photographs. Because when I am taking photo I am thinking about this two aspect. I am looking in a pictures for studium which is the element that creates interest in a photographic image. I as a photographer think of the idea why am taking this pictures in that way and then the spectator see the photograph and have to interpretate to see the ideas and intentions behind it.

One of the important connections with studium is culture. Barthes in his book said that "it is culturally that I participate in the figures, the faces, the settings, the actions'. He also said that culture "is a contact arrived at between creators and consumers." In my opinion people from different cultures will create different interpretations. In my project everyone will be able to make their own interpretation because for example we our from different cultural backgrounds. I think that culture is not the only one aspect which affect people's interpretation but at the same time plays a crucial role in it.

The next factor in photographic image is the punctum. This aspect is more personal. It is an object or image that jumps out at the viewer within a photograph. Punctum is much powerful and can exist alongside studium, but disturb it, creating an 'element which rises from the scene and unitentially fills the whole image. As Barthes said "its mere presense changes my readings, that I am looking at a new photography, marked in my eyes with a higher value.' In my project I will have no influence on people's puntum. Because that is more personal and could be different for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment