Thursday 7 November 2013

Preparation for my project

In my project I would like to show polish students in England. In my opinion the best way to achieve that is to make portraits. However, I would like also to make them in the form of a documentary photography. Therefore, I was searching for an inspiration for me.

In my project I would like to capture the reality, not to create one. My objects will be presented in most appropriate places for them. Thanks to that they would be able to feel relax and yourself. My photographs will presents students in comparison to reality which is surrounding them.

Therefore, I firstly thought about documentary photography as my inspiration. I think that this kind of photography presents the emotions which I would like to achieve. It capture people in time without to much posing and previous preparation of the background. The photographs are taken usually outside.

Example of documentary photography (photojournalist works) which inspires me:

- Philip Jones Griffiths was a Welsh photojournalist known for his coverage of the Vietnam war:

Liverpool school outing: a group of school children and their teacher waiting to board a bus 1952.





However, after some time I started to look for different inspirations. I wanted to find a more modern photographer. As I previous wrote my project is inspired by Diane Arbus. After some reading I have found a photographer who liked her work, Alec Soth. He is an American photographer who has a cinematic feel in this photos. The most interesting works for me are his portraits.

Alec Soth is an American photographer born in 1969. "New York Times" art critic Hilarie M. Sheets wrote that he has made a "photographic career out of finding chemistry with strangers" and photographs "loners and dreamers". According to "The Guardian" art critic Hannah Booth his work tends to focus on the "off-beat, hauntingly banal images of modern America".
Examples:







Another examples:

- Ellen Nolan
Luella Bartley
Emma
Jennifer


- Jane Koh








No comments:

Post a Comment